Saturday, June 24, 2006

Today I married my niece


Amanda, my little sister's daughter and her new husband Dean, are actually the 10th of my nieces and nephews whom I have had the privilege of marrying. Amanda and her twin sister Diana are a delightful pair. Susan and I have loved watching them grow into two very beautiful women.

As I said to the guests this morning before Al and Linda gave Amanda as a bride to Dean, raising a child to maturity is like painting a masterpiece. As an artist does, we parents pour ourselves into our work. We give unreservedly of our gifting, personality, time, money and love into producing the most lovely, godlike man or women ever made. That masterpiece is worth more than any amount of money could ever buy. And then, we don't sell it, we simply give her away to another man! (Actually we don't just give her away, we pay big bucks for the ceremony and reception) but the fact is that even though we've given our creation away, she (or he) will always be very near to our hearts.

The process for me is reminescent of putting my heart and soul into a book, like mine that I wrote for each of my daughters and then putting them up for sale. Or maybe better yet, it's like God putting his very nature into us, loving us with all of his heart and then letting us choose another love other than him. Anyone who has given his son or daughter away in marriage understands what I am saying, So my dear niece, Amanda and Dean, may God shine the light of his love and grace on the special path that he has created for the two of you to walk side by side. Enjoy the journey!

No comments: