Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Man's Best Friend



I know that dogs are supposed to be man's best friends, but I'm not really a dog kind of person. If I want a best friend, I'll choose a person over a puppy every time. When I was a kid, we always had a dog--I even got my own Water Spaniel for my 16th birthday. When I say Water Spaniel, I mean that my dog Laddie would find every puddle he could to waddle through when we were on a walk together. He was always dripping in dirty water. Of course my mom loved it when we'd come home, and Laddie would trample all over her clean floors.

We never bought a dog for our girls. Gold fish that lasted for a few days, maybe a turtle or two, and of course some quiet cats were all that we ever had. I knew from experience that I'd be the one to clean up after, feed and care for the dog if we ever gave in to the persistant pleas of our girls. "I'll look after him daddy, I promise." Sure they would!

But Jeremy and Kristy just fell into the world of proud dog owners. They bought for their kids a baby white German Shepherd. Since I'm a shepherd (pastor) by occupation, I guess that's a pretty good choice. They figured he'd provide protection for the children from bears, raccoons and coyotes who wander into their back yard. They brought her home a couple of days ago. Jeremy and Jacob named her Rooney after some soccer hero, but Madeline didn't think Rooney was a very feminine name, so she gave her the second name of Pearl--Rooney Pearl Low. Quite a handle for the little furball. Actually she is kindof cute. I hope she doesn't grow any bigger, but she probably will. The picture is of Jacob cuddling his new best friend. Welcome to the family Rooney!

No comments: