Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Baby Being Born

It is Susan's and my first full day here on the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula. We're between Cabo San Lucas and Los Cabo in a waterfront condo under a balmy 90 degree sun. We couldn't be happier.

We arrived via Alaska Air on Tuesday then we headed for Costco to load up our fridge. Both of us would rather eat our own cooking than brave the foreign foods in the many restaurants around. We can usually eat well, snacks and all, for under $300.00. Our chicken, pasta and salad last night was superb.

Today we hung around the poolside and started a challenging task of cooking our pale flesh to a golden pink. The sky was clear and hot, by noon I gave birth to my first born child.

Of course I've never had a baby and I wasn't even in the room when our babies were delivered. Both Kelly and Kristy were born before husbands were allowed to be with their wives. Thank God! Actually there were some forward thinking doctors back then who were advocating partnership at birth, but I was well content with partnership at conception.

Anyway, this baby is a book. And my goal was to write the children's story I told to the Grade 2 class at Nestor Elementary School. So, in about 3 hours it was finished. Some deliveries are easier than others.

To find a fax machine is a difficult process around here. Susan and I finally had to drive to town to send the first draft to my secretary, Linda Kennedy, to type. Thankfully a professional illustrator, Jenny Kirby, has offered to draw the pictures for the book. She'll be starting her part of the project this week.

Then we came back to begin the birth process of Dancing with the King. I've had this one in my craw for at least 3 years and can hardly contain the excitement as I write. My goal is to write 10 pages a day for these 2 weeks. So day number 1 was successful.

Now it is dinner time and I can almost smell the fresh salmon cooking. What a life!

Barry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Barry, Just wanted you to know my prayers are with you. I pray that the Lord will provide you with fresh and new ideas as you write. Here's hoping you are able to fulfill your desire to write as many pages a day as you are hoping for...Blessings, Judith