Saturday, April 22, 2006

How I Spent my Vacation

Do you remember, back when you were in school, every September you had to write an essay about how you spent your summer vacation? I cringe just thinking about it. And I'd probably get a D if any teacher saw how we are spending our time.

It's amazing to see how some people enjoy their vacation. While here, in Mexico, Susan and I get to chat with many people from both the USA and Canada. I'm fascinated by what others enjoy doing.

Lots of men (young and not so young) like to play golf. I can't count how many guys (more than gals) relish the idea of getting up at some ungodly hour to traipse around one of the many beautiful golf courses here in the Baja for four hours, every morning! Who knows why they would want to waste a good chunk of their day chasing a tiny ball over hill and dale. And when they're not playing golf, they're talking about it.

Then there's the thrill seekers. They love mountain climbing, hiking in the desert, jumping off cliffs, flying in parasails or surfing the breakers. Adrenaline is their high and they move from one dangerous sport to another every day.

I guess golf fanatics and thrill seekers are better than the biggest crowd around these parts--the partiers. They drink beer by the gallons (honestly). Every evening and late into the night they hit the clubs and bars. We rode with a busload of doctors on a medical convention and all they talked about was getting drunk. I was astounded by this.

Then, there's Susan and I. Thank God we think alike--there are many couples who go their separate ways while here--the spouse goes to play golf while his wife sits by the pool and reads.

For us, life while on vacation is pretty easy. We both lead busy lives while at home. I spend most of my days with people and Susan spends most of her time with family. When we come here to Mexico, I like to be quiet and not talk with too many other guests. Susan is much more social than I am and has made some very strong bonds with some of the regular women here.

Typically our day goes like this:

We get up and have breakfast (pancakes, or cereal, or bacon and eggs and coffee) on the balcony overlooking the ocean. Then we head off to the poolside where I write and Susan reads until about 1:00 or so. It's always hot and sunny. Then we go back to our second floor condo and make lunch. Again we sit and relax on the balcony while we eat.

After lunch, it's back to the poolside. Susan will often sit in the water and talk
while I continue my writing about one chapter a day. Around 5 PM we go back to our balcony and have a frappacino and relax (resting from our busy day). Then we go for a walk before we come back and make dinner.

Usually I cook or we make it together, then I clean up. We spend the evening talking, watching TV or just resting. Many (those golfers or adrenaline junkies) would look at us as boring, but we love our vacations.

In a couple of days, we may head to Cabo San Lucas to see what excitement we can stir up.

Barry

No comments: