Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Friend Mary



Today we formally said "See you later" to a dear friend, Mary Goddard.
I remember well the day I was first introduced to Mary by a mutual friend. It was May 6, 1980. She was kind of a superstar in Charismatic circles at the time, having travelled around the world as a teacher on Spiritual gifts, her own TV program which reached millions, a personal biography called Queen of Hearts, and recognition in some of the largest churches in North America.

It wasn't too many years later (about 1987) that Mary surprised me by showing up at our church one Sunday morning. A friend said to me "That's Mary Goddard coming in the door!" It was like the queen coming to visit. I'm not sure why, but Mary chose to make our church her home base over the last 20 years. It has been my pleasure to be a very personal friend to her over the past 2 decades. In 1996 she was licensed as one of our Foursquare pastors ministering as an extension teacher from Northside church.

A week ago the sparkle faded from Mary's eyes after a stroke, and she died a few days later. I have a beautiful Maple tree in my back yard which Mary gave to me as a young sapling, and it will be a yearly reminder of her vibrant joy and enthusiasm. I will always value our friendship. God bless her family-- as for Mary, God has already welcomed her with a "Well done good and faithful servant!"

No comments: