Monday, November 27, 2006

50th Year Celebration


We set out early again this morning for a 90 minute jeepney ride from Davao to Panabo City. It was their 50th year Celebration and also Thanksgiving Sunday so they had slaughtered the fatted pig for the occasion. Knowing that pastors Hernani and Mila’s heart for the poor, I was very surprised with the quality of the celebration this morning. The wonderful music was high on the list of the best I have ever heard. I couldn’t hold back the tears as the dancers and actors retraced the 50 years of church history here on the island of Mindanao when Sister Thompson began the church in Davao in 1956. She almost immediately began reaching out to the natives in aboriginal tribes. On her first visit it was either eat the sacrificed monkey or be killed. Sister Thompson closed her eyes, stuck her fork into the monkey’s roasted brain and stuck it in her mouth. The natives cheered and she was accepted from that time.

After my time of preaching we ate some of the best food I have ever tasted, played some family games, enjoyed more music and native dances and presented awards to some of the heroes of Philippine Foursquare History. I had to leave by 3:00 p.m. to get back for dinner with some of the Bible School students. Then we all rushed to the final celebration service (with a 3 foot tall cake.) It was very sad for me to say good-bye for my now many friends here in Davao. Tomorrow the General Supervisor and I fly to Cebu then take a fastcat ferry to the Island of Leyte for my last conference.

No comments: