Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Monday Nov. 27

I didn’t realize that this would be such a long trip from Davao to Ormac today. I started out at McDonalds for breakfast with one of the Bible School Students. (I have a very special memory of being at our International Foursquare Convention as a 19 year old Bible College freshman when a veteran missionary took me out to dinner. I remember feeling so honored that he’d asked me.)

After breakfast my host drove me to the airport, where I and the General Superintendent headed to Cebu, the ancient landing place of Ferdinand Magellan in 1521 and the stronghold of Catholicism. We were met in Cebu by two pastors I know and we all went to lunch together. After lunch we set out by van to the dock, where we eventually boarded a Fast-Cat ferry. Susan had told me that another ferry just sank yesterday off a nearby island, but we safely made the three hour trip. We landed at the port and set out by car a fair distance to Ormac. We were both pretty tired (and a little seasick from the very rough ride). We arrive at about 8:00 p.m. for the first service, which had already begun. It’s amazing how invigorating worship can get one ready to teach. I feel bad for Delfin the General Superintendent; he has a meeting after our services, then leaves for an eight hour ferry ride to be at his next meeting by morning.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Pastor Barry,
It's been great keeping up to date on your travels. We look forward to having you back. I've listened to a couple sermons at your web page and really enjoy them. Thank you!

Chris is a geek said...

I don't see a "Night Navigator" on that ferry. I am very disappointed.