Monday, November 06, 2006

The Buzza Family


I received a very interesting email from a distant relative, whom I've never met, last week. There are a limited number of Buzzas in our world, and all of us seem to come from a beautiful southern part of England near Cornwall, so I wasn't suprised that Richard from Pennislvania harkened from the same roots. What was delightful to read was a letter that he emailed, which was written by his great grandfather who was born in 1857. This elder, Richard Buzza wrote in his brief autobiography about his family's move to America when he was young, working in the mines when he was only 9 years old for 25 cents a day and cutting natural slate by hand before machines were used.

I forwarded the email to my cousin Bob who has served our family as the unofficial historian of our clan. Bob's family has traced our Buzza name back to the mid 1500's, when we were called by the name Bussow or Bussa Church records revealed that our ancestors made and sold the oak pews in the local church there in the truro area. That was interesting to me and my siblings who were brought up in the lumber business by our dad. We've heard that our name might mean " Lobster pot "(a very prestigious beginning). Bob and I agreed to update the family records soon for the new generation, who are growing quickly.

No comments: