Saturday, November 04, 2006

Gardening with God


I snapped this picture last week of my poor little Willow tree in our front yard. This tree is the great grand-daughter of the one I wrote about in my Life Journey book about 7 years ago. I purchased the dying Willow for only $5.00 at the nursery, took it home and tried to nurse it back to health. It's a long story, but the result was that when my Willow died that same year, it gave birth, at the same time, to 7 beautiful baby saplings. When we moved away from that home 14 years ago, I brought one branch with me to transplant in our new yard. From the tiny new tree, many others have grown, including the one here.

While pruning my Willow, I noticed these hundreds of little bugs crawling all over the trunk. Of course they made me reflect on the bugs that haunt our human souls. I don't know where they come from, but if we don't deal with them early, they will surely multiply and eventually destroy us. That's why Susan and I headed down to Rona and purchased some good insecticide. I applied the chemicals right away and will do it again in the spring before new growth appears. We have to do the same things with those little vermin who try to undermine our spiritual health

No comments: