Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What is it about superheroes that we all like?

Leap over tall buildings in a single bound, faster than a speeding locomotive. Not only do people love superheroes, they even want to be them. I remember well running around the house (as a boy) with towel over my shoulder thinking I could fly. Now as a pastor I see myself wanting to play the same game. I never want to make a mistake, want to please everybody, always remain cool and unflappable. I was relieved today to read what the Apostle Peter wrote to his leaders "I have a special concern for you church leaders. I know what it's like to be a leader ... here's my concern: that you care for God's flock with all the diligence of a shepherd. Not because you have to, but because you want to please God. Not calculating what you can get out of it, but acting spontaneously. Not bossily telling others what to do, but tenderly showing them the way. When God who is the best shepherd of all, comes out in the open with this rule he'll see that you've done it right and commend you lavishly". Thank God he didn't call any of us to be superheroes. Rather he called us to be very human shepherds of a flock. I get to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground. Even though I, like you, am empowered by heaven. That's very good news

Barry

No comments: