Saturday, May 20, 2006

Gardening with Barry


I've had a great day today working in the garden. After a long winter season, I'm finally getting ready for spring. Today I mowed and edged the lawn, cleaned up all the gardens and planted our spring annuals. We already have azaleas, rhodos and several perennials in colorful bloom. My weeping willows, as well as my pussy willows, which I planted for the grandkids, are doing great. And both the cherry tree that the Kids Church bought for me, and our apple tree, are full of young fruit. Its all very inspiring!

While I was in the garage today looking for some tools, I made a wonderful discovery. I'm not sure where they came from, but I found a few packages of gladiola bulbs. what was notable to me was the fact that although the bulbs are fully alive and bursting with potential, they are simply sitting in their respective packages unopened. They could have been there for years for all I know! I'll try planting them and see what comes up--who knows, maybe it's not too late.

They reminded me of a couple whom I spoke with this week. As full of promise as they are (they've been believers for several years) they have never done anything more than warm a couple of seats on Sunday morning. They're feeling, now that they've come to our church and having heard me harping on fruitfulness and purpose several times, that it may be time for them to be planted. Maybe we'll see some color come from both , my friends and my gladiolas. I'd like that.

No comments: