Sunday, July 30, 2006

Trouble in the Philippines



There's a big piece of my heart that lives among my brothers and sisters in the Philippine Islands. That's why when I receive a message like I did on Friday I feel pain. Rev Val Chavez and his wife Sally are dear personal friends of mine. Pastor Val is the President of the 1600- strong Foursquare Church in the Philippines. He emailed me a couple of times late last week to tell me of the difficult plight that some of our church family are in.

July is typhoon month on the Islands. They are annually whipped by powerful hurricanes (they call them typhoons) and experience severe flooding and loss. This year has been exceptionally difficult for them. Three typhoons have blasted the Luzon District, where 20 houses have been severely damaged and 7 were entirely washed away. The families are presently staying in the church, but there, they do not have the money to help. They desparately need food and supplies just to survive. They are forecasting another typhoon to hit today.

At the same time Mount Mayon has also erupted in the Bicol District and our church members are being evacuated there also. Like I said to the church this morning, I don't know why we are so blessed and protected here in Canada, but we really do have a lot to be thankful for. We gave an offering that we'll forward to Pastor Val tomorrow, but if anyone can help please let us know Thanks so much!

No comments: