Monday, July 17, 2006


Kristy is living with Susan and I (and Jordan) in our motel this week. It's good to have our 33 year old baby home again. She is a delight to spend time with--a lot of fun.

Kristy always has music playing. This morning, we we listening to a Gospel artist and I was concentrating on the lyrics. They seemed a little judgmental to me. The singer was lecturing the church for not being more loving and thoughtful. (Obviously written out of his own experiences--my perception tells me he's been hurt by the church)

In our discussion of the song, which has a catchy melody, I said to her that a problem comes when we pick the same songs to be sung in church as we enjoy on the radio. A church worship service has the 2 fold purpose of praising God, while at the same time encouraging and stimulating the congregation.

It's a good practise for us who are leaders (Kristy leads our 200 preschoolers in Kids Church) to think carefully about the songs we chose for public worship. Some are much more fitting than others.

No comments: