Thursday, August 10, 2006

Future Pastors Camp




Today we held our 3rd future pastors camp. It was 1 of dozens of day camps that different leaders have provided for our church kids this summer. I had 2 boys and 5 girls register. The ranged from 7 to 11 years of age and we had a great time together.

I began by showing the kids around my office, then we sat and chatted about what pastoring is all about. I described my own personal journey from being a backwardly shy 10 year old to where I am today. Then I talked about what it means to have a "call" from God and how we can hear his voice.

After our break, Stephanie Wiebe (my intern for the day) and I role played as different people who wanted counsel from the pastor. I was surprised by how sharp the children's advice was. We ended off by preparing a sermon together. I could easily see down the road about 15 or 20 years, turning the reins of the church over to young adults just like these kids. The truth is that several of the children and youth, who've been reared in our church, are our leaders and pastors today.

Thanks Alex, Jacob, Cassidy, Megan, Tanus and Madison (and Stephenie) for giving me a very satisfying and inspiring day!

No comments: