Saturday, June 30, 2007

Stepping Stones of Victory



It seems to me that at least once a week I sit down with someone in our church to encourage them in their ministry, and I leave the meeting having gained more inspiration than I gave.

That's what happened yesterday when I met with Elisabeth Holmes. She has developed a program to help single moms grow in a wide variety of skills. Stepping Stones of Victory has been a wonderful vehicle to disciple and encourage dozens of women.

In addition to this amazing ministry Elisabeth serves in our Higher Ground Ministries in a growing number of areas, works at least 3 other jobs and is finishing her Bible College courses to earn her degree. (She also is a single mom herself and is getting married this year--Wow! I'm tired thinking about it. )

But the reason I left our meeting so uplifted was because of Elisabeth's newest project. Every morning she gets up at the crack of dawn and writes an encouraging devotion which she then emails to her 50+ participants. When she showed me some of her writings I got greedy and asked if I could share them with those on my blog.
Here's an example from today. If you'd like to receive Elisabeth's daily devotional she said she would happily add to her list I can think of dozens of friends I want to receive it. Just send Elisabeth your email address. Hers is steppingstonesofvictory@hotmail.com


Today’s Stepping Stone of Victory
Turning our stumbling blocks of adversity
into stepping stones of victory!
DAILY DEVOTIONAL
By: Elisabeth Holmes


June 30
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
James 5:16

Around 44-49 AD under the evil and infamous Roman emperor Nero, the Jewish Christians were living in a very dark period of their new faith suffering unthinkable persecution that was driving a wedge of fear and oppression in their faith and amongst each other. Validating their suffering (v 5:13) James unites the believers through encouragement and invites them to confess their sins to each other and pray for each other so that they may be healed and strengthened in their faith.

When I read the history of what these Christians suffered it makes me sick, I cannot even imagine what it would be like to live under these conditions. Do you ever do that and complain about your circumstances to someone else and then in God’s wisdom He sends someone along that has it a million times worse? I say God’s wisdom because I know He wants us to take our eyes off of ourselves and pray for them yet the enemy presents the option of being sucked further under as well. Yup, many times I’ve taken the low road of despair. Every time I fall into that trap, I ask myself “Why do you have to complain?” Complaining is a sin (Phil 2:14). Am I going up for prayer after church or seeking and elder to confess that I’m complaining? Nope. Instead I find someone else that will suck me further into my sin and I enlarge my pity party!! Funny isn’t it, I never feel better when I continue to complain about my circumstances. Can you relate?

…….our stumbling block
Our faith weakens when we focus on the problem instead of the solution and the enemy will send in reinforcements to drag you further down in your sickness.

……stepping stone of victory
There is power in confession of your sin. The enemy wants us to think that we are so weak and that our sin is the worst! Guess what? We are weak but it is through confession of our sin that we are released from the bondage that has ensued around our hearts binding up our faith of unbelief. I did that 2 weeks ago and confessed my lack of joy in my circumstance and the prayer of my beloved friend Yvonne opened up a blessing upon me and my family that encourages me to not complain but to have faith in our Lord who invites me to trust Him, ALWAYS! Do you trust Him enough to confess your sin to someone righteous in your circle of influence? I invite you to try. What do you have to lose?

No comments: