Saturday, October 07, 2006

Fall has arrived

It's official, Fall has come. Even though the sun is still shining here around our home, today was the last day that I had to take all the flowers out of our back garden, mow and trim the grass and prune the plants. It seemed a shame because the annuals are as lovely as they were in mid August, but it had to be done. I do tend to get a bit ruthless when I have shears in my hand-- Our trees are reminecent of the short hair cut my barber gave me last week, but its all good!

There are at least two benefits to the Autumn trimming I did today. One I was reminded of as I taught Pentateuch this week. We were looking at Noah's adventures through his flood season, and I commented on the covenant which God made with him. He said, among other things, that there would always be springtime and harvest, summer and winter. That's the way God designed life to be. We need the dark cold winters just as much as we need the bright and warm summer seasons. I'm quite looking forward to the rain and longer nighttime.

Then secondly, pruning is as good for our plants as discipline is for our kids. As much as it hurts us parents, we would not love our children if we did not discipline them. I loved my plants so much today that I shaved them with vigor.

Next Spring, Susan will lovingly look at me and say, "Wow Honey, you were so wise to cut our beautiful plants so ruthlessly!"

But meanwhile she'll be home from shopping in a few minutes and exclaim "What have you done? Our colorful garden is gone!"

When she says that I'll smile and say "Bald is beautiful." Then she'll laugh and it will all be ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. B,

Over the months that I have dropped by your blog, I have come to enjoy hearing about your relationship with your wife and family the most. It is wonderful to see a Godly marriage in action. You and Susan are a role model to me as I strive to make my relationships, with my unhealthy past, work.

Thanks for being so transparent to the world.