Saturday, September 02, 2006

Joseph's Excellant Bad Day





Three years ago, after I finished publishing my book, Life Purpose, I wrote my first children's book, Joseph's Excellant Bad Day. I actually came up with the story from a combination of true things that had happened in my experiences. When I needed something substantial to teach a class of young children for my Finding my Life Purpose class, I wound the memorieas together to make a story.

This Sunday on September 3, just before school begins we had all the children sit through the entire church service, so I told this story. Thanks to Jennifer Croft for coming with Jacob and me to take the pictures we used in the power-point presentation.

Joseph's story winds around my purchase of a scraggly, near-dead apple tree. Just as I have watched my grandchildren and children mature into the purpose for which they were created, I observed this tree grow from a scrawny branch into a very healthy and prolific fruit tree.

The 7 lessons that I taught my pretend grandson (played by my real grandson, Jacob) are:

#1 God made me to be unique. I was created for a special purpose.

#2 It takes time to become all that God has planned for us to be. There will be fruitful times, as well as seasons when it seems like nothing is happening.

#3 Our purpose is revealed progressively throughout life – like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.

#4 There will always be forces which try and stop us, or keep us from our purpose. We must be alert and ready to fight negative forces.

#5 Dry and difficult times help to press us closer to the place where our refreshment and nourishment come from.

#6 It’s what’s inside, who we are when nobody is watching, that will make us truly successful and fulfilled.

#7 As we move into our purpose, we will not only become everything that God has planned, but people all around us will feel better, and do better, because of us.

No comments: