Sunday, September 17, 2006

God's little helper


One of the many lessons that I talked about with our church on Sunday, was that we must never forget that we are God's little helpers. We are in desparate need of his constant presence and power. It's far to easy, when you have been a Christian as long as I have, to slip into pride, and to think that we now know enough to get along without God constantly watching over our shoulders.

I used as an illustration, a scene from my own experience, this last week. I was working at Kristy's and Jeremy's home, building an oak mantle for their new fireplace. A few minutes after taking out my tools, along came 2 year old Jordan to help his Papa. Of course I encouraged him as we worked side by side. But the fact is that I really didn't need Jordan's help. Actually he was more in the way than a helper, but he used his plastic tools with sincerity and enthusiasm.

The reasons that I wanted Jordan to work beside me was that I love him so much, and he thankfully loves his Papa. The other reason is even more important--I, along with his parents, want Jordan to grow up to be a useful man and husband. It's my privilege to have him helping the best he can beside me. And that's just like my God. Of course he doesn't need me, but He loves me so much, and wants me to learn how to serve in my circle of influence, so I can one day sit beside Jesus and rule with Him for eternity. I like that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor, thanks for the reminder that i am God's little helper. I dont even have the ability and capacity to help Him of what He is doing, but knowing that He cares and loved me is so overwhelming. God bless you.