Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Annual Check-Up

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctor for a complete check-up. It was my birthday and as I near a new decade, I’ve got to keep on top of my health. The doctor checked me over and I seem to be okay. Nothing serious anyway.

A family weakness of asthma has chased me over the last ten years and because my mom died of lung cancer at a young age, I watch it pretty closely. I have a slight thyroid problem, which is balanced with medication, and rising cholesterol which will help motivate me to eat well (remember all those previous blogs about food?!) and exercise. Of course, I got the usual admonition to exercise more and make sure I get my sleep, but other than that I’m a specimen of health.

I like to keep tabs on our church and do routine review there as well. Currently, we are working through the Spiritual 12 Steps as a check-up on our souls. Since our souls live forever and our bodies only last less than a century, it figures that the spiritual check-up is the more vital.

Our Creator actually commands us to “examine our hearts” to see if there is any area that doesn’t line up with His right way of thinking. It’s kind of like putting a level on a house to see if it is sitting straight, or checking our blood to see if there are any uninvited invaders.

We’re now on the fourth step – doing a personal inventory of our souls, getting ready for step five of confession. I've posted the inventory questions (click here to obtain) we are using which will help you when listening to the audio from my web page. The inventory doesn't cover all of our potential dysfunctions, but there are enough to help us see our need for God’s help. In future audio programs, you will be able to listen to some thoughts from God’s Word on the value of self-examination.

Physically, I know I have some disciplined work to do, but even more concerning is the spiritual weaknesses that I’m seeing. We never seem to get to the place, in this life anyway, that we can say, “It’s finished. I’m now perfect.”

So off I go to do some physical as well as spiritual exercise.

Barry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally, I met superman in person.
You almost look like Christopher Reeves. Keep up the good health, we need you for a long haul.