Saturday, March 03, 2007

Maureen turns 40?



One of my favourite people in this big world of 6 billion people is Maureen Reid. She is the lay-pastor who leads all the Art ministries in Northside church. Whether it's directing the choir, hosting an Art show, overseeing and producing a skit or a full scale drama, Maureen does what she's so gifted to do with cool grace. She also happens to be (along with Susan) one of my very favorite singers.

As I said at her suprise party, Maureen reminds me of John the Baptist. It was said of him that "when his disciple heard John speak, that they followed Jesus." (Most of us preachers would do well to emulate John's preaching motives.) As for Maureen, when we hear her sing on Sunday mornings, people tend to follow Jesus. There's no greater compliment.

Several of us were asked to roast Maureen, but couldn't think of any weaknesses we could kid her about. I think she may just be one of those angels the author of Hebrews wrote about that lives quietly among us to point us to God. I cried as I heard her and Greg's daughter eulogize her mom. There is no greater honor than for a daughter to desire to be exactly like her mom. (And Jessica is acheiving her aspirations!) Happy Birthday Maureen. We do love you and we really believe that you are only 40!

No comments: