Saturday, March 03, 2007

Hope for tomorrow


One of the saddest verses in the Bible is found in the book of Judges. It says that the new generation, after Joshua died, did not know the Lord. Joshua had been one of the greatest Bible heroes, but for whatever reason he did not teach his followers to pass on the Faith of our Fathers. A new generation grew up in relative peace, but with no knowledge of God. It isn't hard to guess how quickly they fell off the path into very dire circumstances.

I feel at my new age that one of my highest privileges is to pass on what I've learned to the new kids on the block. The older I get the more I am cognisant of the reality of the brevity of life. That's why I took more than half of my week to teach this bright group of young adults about how to grow a healthy church. These 8 men and women are all in their last year(s) of Pacific Life Bible College, and most of them are already serving as Children's or Youth pastors in their local churches. We had a fun time Monday through Friday leatrning why some churches continue growing while most others have put a lid on growth. I pray for continued enthusiasm and wisdom as each of them passionately pursue God's best intentions.

No comments: