Saturday, February 04, 2006

More Q&A

Q. We are praying about going to the mission field. Since 1996, when a prophet of God prophesied that I would go abroad one day as a missionary, that call stays in my heart. Later, I got married and for more than 6 years my husband and I pastored a church but then the call is still there. For the past year both of us prayed for a mission opportunity. Please help us to know how we can start the work of the call in our hearts. We are really determined to do the task and willing to work. God Bless you and your family.

A. Thank you for your e-mail. It’s difficult to communicate such an important subject via this public venue, but because I am often asked similar questions, I wanted to respond to this on my blog. Here are a couple of my thoughts:

1. Be careful not to run your life by a prophesy. A prophesy should encourage and confirm what you already feel God is saying to you. As long as you and your husband both feel God’s call in your own spirits, the prophecy should serve to confirm your thoughts.

2. I use Isaiah 30:15, 18-20 as a model. Your attitude must be (as in v. 15) repentance, rest, quietness and trust. Verse 20 says God is your teacher. The way life teaches us is through our experiences. We come to a fork in the road where we have a choice. Then we try something, we make a turn to the right or left. That’s when He speaks to us and says, “This is the way” or “This not the way”. We have to step out (such as applying for a visa or passport) and see what happens.

3. Look for the Peace of God. When we go down the wrong path, we do not feel God’s peace. Don’t worry about making a wrong decision—we learn best through failure. Col. 3:15 and Isaiah 48:22 tell us that we have peace when we are on the right path and no peace when we are on the wrong path.

4. Lastly, stay in harmony with your husband. You’ll need to walk out your call in agreement.

Q. Today at work, the person that was replacing me while I was off, found out that I went to Northside church. She said, "Hey that is Barry Buzza's church. I like that man. I read his column every time. He makes a lot of good sense." She told me that she was an agnostic. She then asked me several questions and told me that she was raised Catholic. I tried to explain the difference and answers her questions but it was not easy. She really enjoys reading what you write. Way to go Barry!

So my question is, can words put a curse or cause something not to happen? Can they extend the time frame of when or if a miracle is going to happen? For example, our family wants our prodigals [someone who has walked away from God] to return. We want that so badly and we want it NOW! Having a prodigal in one's life is not easy and weighs heavily on your heart. Our family tries to live and talk in a way that makes it easier to deal with. We try to see our children as if they were already serving God and we give credit to God for it. However at times, when the load we carry once again becomes too heavy to bear, positive words often change to a more negative way of speaking. For instant we might say, "It might never happen; it might not be in God's plan or in God's timing. We must learn to accept the inevitable."

When these kinds of words are spoken, I tend to get upset and say, "Don't say those words, you just put a curse on the child and God won't be able to do his miracle."

Is this way of thinking correct or am I totally out to lunch? I thought that there was something in the Bible that says that you can hinder or help God by the way you act, speak, live etc. Is this true? If so or if not, can you please explain it to me?

A. Thanks for sharing the comments from your co-worker. You’ll never know how deeply I am strengthened by positive words – I appreciate your grace and kindness.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe in the power of our words. Numbers 14 underscores the importance of using positive, godly words:

1. The people of Israel complained about God’s plans to lead them into the giant occupied areas of Canaan – they wanted to go back to Egypt (bondage) rather than follow God wholeheartedly. So the Lord said to them (v. 20), “As I live, just as you have spoken in my hearing, so I will surely do to you.” They said they wished they could die and God answered, “Ok, you’ll die!”

2. Moses prayed on behalf of his people that God would forgive them for their ignorant and selfish reprise. God reported to Moses (v. 20),“I have pardoned them according to your word.” Both Israel and Moses got what they said. If words have been spoken with heart and belief (negative or positive) they do carry the power of blessings or curses. Of course negative words can be countered by asking God’s forgiveness and changing our confession. But on the other hand, don’t worry about some things you may have said when discouraged or tired. God knows our hearts and our levels of faith. He doesn’t respond to every word we say when in a down time. He understands discouragement and sadness.

If you’ve said things that are negative, we simply have to apologize and reaffirm our love and faith to God (like we do for our spouse when we say something negative or unloving to them). The Good News is that God wants what you want. Don’t give up. Be patient, keep loving and praying and you will see the prodigals come home again.

Thanks for your questions. I'll be praying for each of you.

Barry

No comments: