Wednesday, February 01, 2006

In Memory of Randi Hoigaard

On Friday, January 27, 2006, we celebrated the life of a dear friend of our church family, Randi Hoigaard. Our church was packed. Randi, who was born in Norway in 1932, was one of those people whom everybody loved. It was very sad to say goodbye to her, but easy to say good things about her life.

She was involved in many ministries; working diligently and faithfully behind the scenes in our Father’s Table (feeding the hungry), Alpha, prayer and our clothing co-op. I loved talking to the many people whom she’d encouraged and befriended throughout her years.

It was such a privilege for me to be invited by the family to pray for them and her as she was transported form this life to the next. I’d been there when Randi first had her stroke on Thursday—I sat with her husband Iver for a few hours until their children arrived from their three outside Vancouver homes.

On Saturday, January 21, Sharon (Randi’s daughter) called me from the hospital and told me it was time. After I arrived, we had the opportunity of standing around her bedside, talking, crying, and praying. It was a holy moment. Then came the time to removed the breathing apparatus which was keeping her heart pumping. Her brain was already dead. As we stood around her, Randi slowly and peacefully slipped from our world to the presence of Jesus. It seemed far too soon for her to die, but if it was time, it could not have been a sweeter way to go.

I thought of the scripture where the Apostle Paul says goodbye (just before his execution) to his son Timothy. He wrote “The time of my departure is at hand…it was a nautical picture that he painted of a traveler setting out to a new shore by ship. He pulls his anchor, sets his sails and waves goodbye. As difficult as that is for the people left on shore, it’s an exciting journey for the traveler; and as sure as family and friends are waving “good bye,” others on the far shore are already waving and shouting “hello!”

Randi did something that I’ve recommended in my new book, Dying Well. She wrote out her own memorial service plan. I loved it! She journalled her life’s history; she said who she wanted to sing (both Jennifer Lehman and Lori Carmichael were able to do as Randi had requested), she named the hymns and said to make sure it was a time of celebration. And we did exactly as she wanted—lots of music, lots of food and lots of friends made it a memorable celebration.

Good bye my friend—we’ll see you soon on the other side!

Barry

P.S. Thanks Judith for your comment on my blog about Randi's funeral. I, too, believe the stories of Randi's faith challenged many to make a decision for Christ!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Randi was a great friend to me and I miss her so very much . She had such great courage, strength and compassion.

I miss her on my walks with the dogs & find myself talking to her as though she was right there with me..perhaps she is.

My heart breaks for her family & I pray that the memories they have bring them some comfort.

You are missed so much, by so many Randi .