Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm Back!

I'm sorry that I have not updated my blog in the past couple of weeks. My computer has been in the repair garage. Now I've got it back but I still have not figured out how to download and e-mail pictures with the new "simpler" program! I'll give you the news and will work on the matching pictures later.

We zipped by Easter, but enjoyed some terrific special events on the way. Sunday April 1 was no Fool's Day. Rather it was a memorable Palm Sunday. Our 3 Kids' Church choirs gave concerts that were not only full of good teaching, but were delivered in a fun 70's style of music. The grade 1-6 kids dressed in tie-dye t-shirts and bellbottoms and mop-top wigs, and sang songs about all they had learned over the previous 10 weeks to the tunes of 70's Pop songs. My favorite was "Paying your Tithes" to the tune of "Staying Alive" by the BeeGee's.

Palm Sunday was of course followed by Easter, when we were favored by the Holy Spirit inspired music of our Choir. Wow! Maureen and her happy minstrels, with full band, brought down the house at all 4 packed services. I taught in the remaining time about the lessons inherent in our Communion services. The matzo bread we use, for example, is packed with teaching about the life of Jesus.
~It is unleavened to illustrate that he lived a sinless life. Leaven or yeast is a picture of being puffed up and full of ourselves.
~During preparation, the bread is striped and dotted with a small wheel to keep it from puffing up, but the stripes and holes are a reminder that Jesus was pierced with nails and striped by the Roman lictor's whip.
~The matzo bread is also broken with jagged edges. That is to remind us of the jagged stones that mourners leave on the graves of those whom they love and are visiting. Many stones on the grave marker are a sign to the remaining family members that their deceased loved one is still remembered. When Jesus held the bread, he was saying "remember me".

No comments: