Thursday, December 22, 2005

On the Second Day of Christmas

I've already mentioned one of my most prized gifts this year (the envelope of hand-drawn pictures) and I'd like to talk about another one:

You may recall a few posts ago when I talked about the ten most influential people in my life. Number nine was Walter Mussen.

As I was preparing my sermon that week, I had written Walter's name on a piece of paper and then left for a Tri-Cities pastor’s lunch. I love the pastors in this special group and always enjoy our time together.

That day, I happened to be sitting beside Doug Fortune's father-in-law Ed (Doug pastors Grace Christian Fellowship in Port Coquitlam) who asked me who I was and what church I pastored and I said Northside Foursquare. Ed told me he had gone to our Foursquare Bible College in Los Angeles and had later pioneered the Richmond Foursquare Church. His father had also been a Foursquare pastor.

It just so happens that Ed, who is about 70 years old, is married to the sister of my step-brother’s wife, Karen. Interesting connection there. While we were having an enjoyable conversation, I asked Ed if he knew Walter Mussen. He said of course, and told me that Walter had been a friend and that he knew him very well.

As Ed and I talked, the guy sitting on the other side of me, Kris Baker (who pastors the Coquitlam Christian Centre), joined in and asked if we were talking about Walter Mussen.

When I responded affirmatively, Kris said, “Oh, I have Walter’s library.” He told us that Walter had gone to Abbotsford Pentecostal after returning from his missionary work in his later years and because he had no children, he left his Bibles and books to this young man who was the youth pastor at the church. The Bible in the collection was actually belong to Walter's father which dates back to the mid-1800s.

Kris asked if I would like to have that Bible and without hesitation I said, "I would love to have it." So I walked out of there, after just writing his name down before going to the lunch, telling both of them how Walter had influenced by my life and now I get his bible that is well over a 100 years old.

It was a wonderful gift! Thank you Kris.

Barry

No comments: