Thursday, December 15, 2005

Friends Forever

Last Saturday, as I was preparing my sermon (which I'll post part of a little later), our granddaughter Victoria played beside me with her little dolls. They're not just ordinary dolls. They're princess dolls -- Belle, Snow White and Cinderella -- for our little princess.

In fact, the Saturday before (December 3) was Victoria's 3rd birthday party. She is our second youngest grandchild. There were about 10 kids at there, all sitting around the table at this beautiful Princess Party. When I saw them, I thought, "Wow, it is only a few years away before they will all be a part of our youth group."

Now, I realize these kids are currently only 2-5 years old, so I'm thinking a little ahead, but it so wonderful to know they will grow up together all their lives, they will be best friends forever and it was just a wonderful picture of these very tight friends. The moms and dads have known each other before the kids were even born so that was a really neat thing.

As I watched them, I thought of that song by Michael W. Smith entitled Friends:

"Friends are friends forever, if the Lord is the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never, cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands I know
That a lifetime's not too long... to live as friends
."


And speaking of kids, after church the next day, Blossom's (my very good friend who passed away this past summer) husband Gerry came up to me and said he had a gift for me. Then handed me an envelope. When I opened it up, a whole bunch of pictures fell out. They were ten years old and from when Blossom had taught a pre-school class at our church.

The kids had drawn pictures showing how I had influenced their lives. Amazingly, those little artists are now 14-15 years old and still attend church. I was so touched by the pictures. This one is by Genaya Grasby entitled "Pastor Barry Looking at Me." I would have to say it was one of the greatest gifts I've received this year. Check out the Tri-Cities News (December 18 column) in the paper or next week on our church webpage to learn more about the gifts that meant the most to me in 2005.

Next post, I hope to talk a little about my sermon on Sunday. I want to share with you the 10 people who have influenced my life. Hope you'll drop by.

Barry

No comments: