Monday, September 24, 2007

Yom Kippur

Today we woke up at the dock of Limassol Cyprus. For me anything Biblical is the most interesting and this was the place that the Apostle Paul harboured on his way to Europe

On shore we hired a taxi to take is to the very beautiful Kourion Beach where we sat and played for a few hours.

After getting back to ship I was anticipating the Yom Kippur service at 5. I was the first to arrive, donned my yamulka and waited for my Jewish friends to come. Finally about 6 of us were there and were greeted by our ships hostess. She'd laid out the candles, bread and wine and then she left us to have on our own service.

I explained to the senior group that I was a pastor and was only there to observe. Some were Orthodox Jews and some Reformed. There was a bit of confusion as to how to proceed without a rabbi. So I spoke up!

I asked the group to gather round and explain to this Gentile what Yom Kippur meant to each of them. They cooperated and then I told them the Bible story from Exodus of how Jehovah instructed Moses and Aaron to celebrate the high Holy Day of Atonement.

After we'd done that I asked them if I could pray for them. They explained that at Yom Kippur the rabbi prayed in Hebrew for the dead and the Holocast victims. It would be ok they said if I didn't mention Jesus. So I thanked God for the Jewish people who have kept the faith since Father Abraham. And I blessed our little group.

They were obviously touched by God! Then we broke bread with a Hebrew prayer and shared a swallow of wine (apparently it was holy wine). At the end of the service we all greeted one another and agreed it had been a worthwhile hour together

Then one of the brothers asked me if I would do a memorial service for his brother as we leave Athens next week. He had his brothers ashes with him and the Captain has ok'd the service.

Today was a good day my first Yom Kippur service and now my first Jewish burial. I didn't realize how our trip to Israel would change my life

Well Sunday is a day at Sea. Interdenominational service at 10 and the afternoon will be a day of rest. I pray blessings on our church and Pastor Terry this Sunday

No comments: