Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Mothers Day


I'm one of those very blessed people who has been privileged to have 3 moms. My first mom, Agnes was my birth mother. She has had more influence on who I am than any other woman, except Susan. My mom died of cancer when I was only 18 years old so she never even knew that I went to Bible College the next September or that I wanted to become a pastor. A few years ago I was conducting a funeral at our church, and after the service I met a woman I'd never met before. She surprised me when she said that she had been one of my mom's best friends! She also told me that my mom had been praying that I would be a pastor. That was a very enlightening and encouraging piece of information. I'm not sure if mom can see what's going on down here or not, but if she can "M om thank-you for your love, your strong example and your belief in your very backward young son. I love you!"

My second mom came into my life not long after my 1st mom's death. Suprisingly, the day my dad met my birth mom was the same day he met my step-mom. On a church picnic, to which he'd been invited by his sister, he met my mom. She was only 16 so when he asked her if she wanted to go for a rowboat ride in the lake, my protective auntie said, "Allan you're not going to take Agnes on the rowboat by yourself. (dad was 21) It wouldn't be proper. The only way you can take Agnes is if you take Audrey too!" Audrey was 13 and so she chaperoned dad and Agnes on their 1st date.

26 years later, just before mom died, she told dad to look up Audrey after she was dead. Audrey had lost her husband a couple of years earlier to cancer, so the last thing my mom did was to pick out her husband's second wife! Thankfully dad listened to mom and asked Audrey out . Because both were widows they had a lot in common. A few months later they were married. I could not have asked for a better step-mom. Audrey is a beautiful, dignified and loving mom.. Can you imagine anyone agreeing to take on our family of 6 kids in addition to her own two?
My sister was already married, but after a couple of years the next 5 of us were married too, within 8 months of each other!

My 3rd mom is Nancy. She's Susan's mom, but when I met Susan in 1967, my mom had already died so she began calling me her son. It was a good thing that I married her daughter a couple of years later, because mom would never have forgiven either of us if we hadn't. Mom has been one of those rare gifts to our world. Because her own mom had been a very unhappy, bitter, meddling mother, mom decided that she would be the opposite! She became a Christian just before Susan was born and Jesus gave her the grace that she needed to be all that her own mom was not. She is truly a saint! Mom has loved us and our children unconditionally for every one of these past 40 years. At 91, she is still one of the most servant-hearted, ministry orientated, loving and generous people I've ever met!

Thank-you Lord for your grace and favor in my life for giving me my 3 moms, Agnes, Audrey and Nancy. Happy mothers Day!

No comments: