Friday, November 28, 2008

Beavers

November 28, 2008

I had an awakening yesterday.

It came in a very unusual way.

A friend of mine (another pastor) made an appointment to see me for lunch. After we sat down in my office to talk, he smiled and said, “I have a gift for you.”

I like gifts, so I smiled broadly and expectantly as Sam pulled out of his bag a big, brown, furry beaver. It was only a stuffed toy, but looked very real. He handed the rodent to me and I cuddled it close. I loved my friend’s thoughtfulness, but did not immediately understand why he gave me the beaver.

“As President of the Canadian Foursquare churches, I thought that it would be fitting for you to have Canada’s national emblem in your office. This little beaver is a picture of hard-working and wise leaders across our nation who are bringing change to their world.”

I was deeply touched by his gift. Bucky the beaver is sitting on my desk staring at me right now as I write this article.

The awakening came in that I’d never given more than a passing thought to the life lessons beavers teach us—even though they are our national animal and are pictured on every Canadian nickel.

This afternoon, especially with my furry pet looking at me with his big brown eyes, I began thinking about how inspiring beavers really are. Here are seven attributes , that go beyond their profitability to the early settlers of Canada.

Beavers are famously busy. “As busy as a beaver.” They tackle huge obstacles with enthusiasm and diligence.

But better than simply being busy, they are purposeful. Second only to humans, beavers have an uncanny ability to manipulate and change their environment. With their strong teeth and powerful jaws, they turn huge trees into dams. They can change the course of a river, make a meadow or turn fields and forests into large ponds. They are not stopped by obstacles—rather, they use them for their greater purposes.

Beavers build homes for their extended families. They are monogamous, family-focused and care deeply for the propagation of the next generation.

They have transparent eyelids that act as goggles when swimming underwater. I love the fact that these fifty pound rodents can see where other animals would not be able to see. We as leaders need to have vision where those who follow may not see clearly.

Beavers protect one another. Simply by slapping their leathery tails loudly, their friends and co-workers are able to hide and be safe from their enemies.

They are wise enough to build canals so they can float building materials long distances to where they are needed. They also look ahead and prepare for long cold winters by storing sticks and logs underwater for family to feed on when the grounds are covered in snow and ice.
I love my new pet. My grandchildren will ask me if they can have him, but I’m not giving him up. Maybe I’ll buy them each a beaver Webkin for Christmas and teach them about our national emblem.

1 comment:

Lindsey Woods said...

Hi Barry, I am in Chilliwack at the moment looking after my mom for a week, and while looking for a church for Sunday i came across your article on beavers. What an inspiration "Bucky" must be to you. I must admit I have never looked at beavers in that context. What a great article. Enjoy your blossoming friendship with him. Love Lindsey Woods