Tuesday, November 20, 2007

November 11.

Today I enjoyed the privilege of speaking at Pastor Joemarie Sulmaca's church. He is the vice-President of the Foursquare Gospel Church of the Philippines. Restoration Life is a happening church. The worship was vibrant and celebrative so it made preaching easy. At least until the storm began! As I was just getting in to my hour long sermon (their service goes for 2 hours) torrential rains began to fall. The sound, because all the windows and doors were open, was thunderous. Thankfully the sound systems in the Philippines are always at full volume! But then the power blew! All the lights and amplifiers went out and there we sat under the shadows of the dark clouds and the stormy rainfall! Hardly able to make myself heard above the natural sounds outside I asked everyone in the large congregation to come as close as they could to the front of the church. When we attempted to close some doors to shut out the storm the congregation sweated profusely, so I was left with no choice except to yell like Moses speaking to the crowds of Israel! Finally after about a half hour, my voice was almost gone, but the lights went back on. What a welcome relief! Thank God for sound systems! I'm now at the Ilo Ilo airport set to fly to Manila. I'll meet Pastors Val (President of the FGCP) and Sally Chavez and we will drive about 8 hours north to Baguio. Baguio is one of the primary vacation destinations of the Philippines. It sits at a higher altitude and is therefore more cool than most cities. Most Vegetables, fruits and flowers, like ours in BC, come from Baguio. The weather forecast there also is heavy rains. Oh well I'll be inside the church from morning to night, praying that the power does not black out! I'll send some pictures later

No comments: